What is Texas Boys State?
American Legion Boys State, an 86 year-old program, is among the most respected and selective educational programs of government instructions for high school students. It is a participatory program where each student becomes a part of the process of his local, county, and state government.
Using the highly effective experiential learning process participants are exposed to the rights and privileges, the duties, and responsibilities of a franchised citizen. The training is objective and practical, with the city, county, and state governments operated by the students elected to various offices.
Frisco American Legion Post 178 is the program sponsor and has fully funded and graduated 140 students from this program since June 2014. Our selection of up to 25 elite boys will join over 1,100 male students from across the State of Texas for the program.
• Must be a male, high school junior with at least one semester remaining and has not previously attended Boys State
• Maximum of 3 per school nominated by their high school Principal and Counselor.
Selection Criteria for nomination by their high school Principal and Counselor:
• Strong academic performance (a quick study for a fast-moving, intense program).
• Excellent interpersonal skills (gets along very well with others from all backgrounds).
• Exhibited leadership (a leader of leaders).
• Poise and confidence.
• Robust communication skills (ability to present convincing points of view).
• Involved in extracurricular activities & community service.
Selection Process: The Post 178 Boys State Committee conducts required 20-30 minute interviews in February.
Results: Follows are some of the key results recent graduates have shared with us:
• “Developed a greater appreciation for this country and its ideals”
• “Increased knowledge of the political system and a desire to participate”
• “Advanced peer leadership skills by working with other high performing individuals”
• “Succeeding in a demanding environment”
• “How to market myself and subordinates for positions and stratification”
FISD high school and Frisco private school junior boys interested in attending the 2022 Texas Boys State program at UT-Austin should inform their school counselor of their interest in attending by November 1, 2021.
American Legion Post 178 works directly with FISD and Frisco private school counselors to select up to three prospective candidates from each school to be interviewed. All nominations must be recommended and submitted by the school counselors. American Legion Post 178 will not accept any direct nominations.