Greetings Legionnaires, veterans, friends, and visitors to the Peter J. Courcy American Legion Post 178 website. I am Delbert Parsons and serve as Commander of Post 178.
The American Legion is the nation’s largest and most influential network of U.S. wartime veterans. It was chartered by Congress in 1919 and is a non-profit organization. Membership is open to all who served honorably since December 7, 1941.
Post 178 was chartered in 2014 and is named in honor of Peter J. Courcy, a 2004 graduate of Frisco High School who was killed in combat in 2009 while serving in the U.S. Army in Afghanistan. With the blessing of his family, we are proud and privileged to name our post in his honor.
Post 178, with a membership of over six hundred veterans, has a wide range of members from all branches of service. Our members’ service ranges from World War II to those who are currently serving on active duty.
Our mission is two-fold:
- To provide support and service to active-duty military, veterans and their
families in the community
- To support and help educate youth on the value and importance of Americanism and Patriotism.
Our programs and activities include:
- American Legion Boys State – Highly selective and participatory event for high school juniors that exposes students to the rights and privileges, duties, and responsibilities of a United States citizen.
- American Legion Oratorical Scholarship Competition – An academic speaking challenge for high school students to develop a deeper knowledge and appreciation of the U. S. Constitution.
- American Legion Riders – Consists of members who take to their motorcycles and raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for various post and local programs.
- American Legion School Awards – Develops six core qualities in students and awards those selected by teachers and counselors.
- Honor/Color Guard – Presents the Colors at area events and post functions; performs funeral/memorial services for area veterans and members of Post 178 upon request.
- Law & Order – Identifies, selects, and honors community law enforcement, firefighters, first responders and reservist.
- Legislative & Voter Registration – Monitors national, state, and local legislation and encourages members to contact their congressional representatives; plans ‘Get Out the Vote’ registration events.
- Scouts BSA – Develops young people in achieving full physical, intellectual, emotional, social, and spiritual potential as individuals and as responsible citizens and members of the community.
- Wreaths Across America – Assists with distributing, laying, and retrieving wreaths at the D/FW National Cemetery.
We are an exciting, growing and service-oriented post with many opportunities to serve including Public Relations, Fund Raising, Membership & Honor Guard. You are encouraged to join us. We welcome all inquiries.
“Thank You!” to all veterans for your honorable service to our great nation, you are gratefully appreciated!
For God and Country, Delbert Parsons Commander Peter J Courcy American Legion Post 178 “Veterans Strengthening America”