Welcome to all our Fellow Legionnaires, Veterans, Friends and Visitors to the Peter J Courcy American Legion Post 178 website. I am Carlos Gallardo, Commander of Post 178 in Frisco, Texas and it is my sincere pleasure to extend our warmest greetings and welcome.
Let me begin, by introducing our new post to you. Our Post is named after Peter J. Courcy, a 2004 graduate of Frisco High School who was killed in combat in 2009, while serving in the US Army in Afghanistan. With the blessing of his family, we are proud and privileged to name our Frisco American Legion post in his honor.
The American Legion is the nation’s largest and most influential network of U.S. wartime veterans. It was chartered by Congress in 1919 and is a 501 (c) 19 non-profit organization. Post 178 is one of the American Legion’s newest posts holding our first meeting January 16, 2014 where we officially elected officers and began our existence. Since our first meeting, our Post has rapidly grown to over 130 members, making it the fastest growing American Legion Post in Texas if not the nation.
Our new Post does not have a permanent Post building and as a result we meet monthly at the Frisco Senior Center through the generosity of the Frisco City Council. We attribute this wonderful generosity to the great partnership and friendship developed with the Frisco City Council prior to our initiation. We have a wide range of members from all branches of service. Our members’ service ranges from World War II to our youngest member, a 27 year old Marine who recently served in Afghanistan and Iraq. Additionally, two Frisco City Council Members are in our post.
Our mission in Frisco is two-fold:
• To provide support and service to active duty military, veterans and their families in the Frisco area
• To support and help educate our Frisco children on the value and importance of Americanism and Patriotism
While we have a number of service projects, we have decided to emphasize our focus on Frisco’s youth. We have recently developed a very warm and mutually beneficial partnership with the Frisco Independent School District. On March 3, 2014, we gave an introductory presentation about Post 178 to the Frisco ISD Board of Trustees and the FISD Staff which was warmly received and welcomed. We also received a wonderful feedback and positive comments from FISD Board and Staff members which greatly enhanced our relationship and reinforced our commitment to support our Frisco community and our youth.
Our youth programs include:
• American Legion Boys State – a highly-acclaimed 96 year old program for select high school juniors to spend a week at the University of Texas, Austin to learn how our government works. We conducted interviews and selected 7 highly qualified and outstanding high school students in Frisco that attended Boys State in Austin, Texas this summer.
• American Legion Oratorical Scholarship Competition – a Constitutional speech competition held in the Fall for grades 9 thru 12 focusing on the US Constitution. The event offers winning recipients college scholarships totaling up to $138,000
• American Legion Baseball –
• Civil Air Patrol –
• Boys Scouts of America – supporting and sponsoring our close and oldest scouting friends
• Americanism and Patriotism – programs of appreciation and instruction for our elementary, middle, and high school students
• JR Shooting Sports Program
These are very exciting times for our young Post as we are continuing to grow in membership and in developing much needed programs to support our community. However, in order to successfully accomplish this, we need members to serve as volunteers of several of our committees including Public Relations, Fund Raising, Membership, Color Guard/Honor Guard, Americanism, Events and Flag Retirement Program to name a few.
Again, welcome to the Peter J Courcy American Legion Post 178 in Frisco, Texas. I encourage you to join us during these exciting and rewarding times, and experience our Post first hand by becoming a member. Please reach out to me or any of our Post Officers/members should you have questions. As a reminder, our Post meets at 6:30 pm on the 3rd Thursday of the month at the Frisco Senior Center (6670 Moore Street, Frisco, Texas, 75034).
Thanks again for visiting our website.
And to all our veterans, a very heartfelt and appreciative “Thank You!” for your service to our great nation. God Bless America!
For God and Country,
Carlos L. Gallardo
Peter J Courcy American Legion Post 178
“Still Serving America”