Welcome to all Legionnaires, Veterans, Friends and Visitors to the Peter J Courcy American Legion Post 178 website. I am Fred Rogers; Commander of Post 178 in Frisco, Texas and it is my sincere pleasure to extend our greetings.
Post 178 is named after Peter J. Courcy, a 2004 graduate of Frisco High School who was killed in combat in 2009, while serving in the US Army in Afghanistan. With the blessing of his family, we are proud and privileged to name our post in his honor.
The American Legion is the nation’s largest and most influential network of U.S. wartime veterans. It was chartered by Congress in 1919 and is a 501 (c) 19 non-profit organization. Post 178 is one of the American Legion’s newest posts holding our first meeting January 16, 2014 where we officially elected officers and began our existence. Since our first meeting, our Post has rapidly grown to over 255 members.
We are grateful that The City of Frisco provides us with a place to hold our meetings at the Frisco Senior Center.
Post 178 has a wide range of members from all branches of service. Our members’ service ranges from World War II to those who are currently serving on active duty.
Our mission in Frisco is two-fold:
• To provide support and service to active duty military, veterans and their families in the Frisco area
• To support and help educate our Frisco children on the value and importance of Americanism and Patriotism.
Our youth programs include:
• American Legion Boys State – a highly acclaimed 97-year-old program for select high school juniors to spend a week at the University of Texas, Austin to learn how our government works.
• American Legion Oratorical Scholarship Competition – a Constitutional speech competition held in the Fall for grades 9 thru 12 focusing on the US Constitution. The event offers winning recipients college scholarships totaling up to $138,000
• Boys Scouts of America – supporting and sponsoring our oldest scouting friends
• Americanism and Patriotism – programs of appreciation and instruction for our elementary, middle, and high school students
These are very exciting times for our young Post as we are continuing to grow in membership and in developing much needed programs to support our community. There are many opportunities for our members to serve as volunteers on several of our committees including Public Relations, Fund Raising, Membership, Color Guard/Honor Guard, Americanism and Events.
Again, welcome to the Peter J Courcy American Legion Post 178 in Frisco, Texas. I encourage you to join us and experience our Post first hand by becoming a member. Please reach out to any of our Post Officers or members should you have questions. As a reminder, our Post meets at 6:30 pm on the 3rd Thursday of the month at the Frisco Senior Center (6670 Moore Street, Frisco, Texas, 75034).
“Thank You!” to all veterans for your service to our great nation, and thank you for visiting our website.
For God and Country,
Fred Rogers, Commander
Peter J Courcy American Legion Post 178
“Still Serving America”