Dear Prospective Girls State Delegate:
Thank you for visiting the ALA Unit 178 website to learn about Texas Bluebonnet Girls State. This is one of the most prestigious leadership programs available to Texas high school students, and you are to be commended for your interest.
Please read all the information contained herein, in order to be informed about applying for the Girls State program through ALA Unit 178 of Frisco.
1. All fees for Girls State attendance will be paid through ALA Unit 178. Students are not allowed to pay their own way to attend the program.
2. Please visit the Texas Girls State website and read this page in full. Before applying, please be sure that you are able to fulfill all parts of the program, including the dates and times of arrival.
3. Texas Girls State requires that all participants must be able to use the campus facilities without special accommodation, and that all participants must be able to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the American flag daily.
4. To enter the program, you will be required to bring proof of a recent healthy physical from your doctor with you on Arrival Day. This is mandatory; no student will be allowed to attend Girls State without it.
5. Selected delegates and alternates will be required to participate in some public activities and events in Frisco, before and after the June 2019 session. Dates will be relayed with advance notice.
If you are able to meet these requirements, please read on to understand the process:
- To be invited to join the 2019 Frisco Unit 178 delegation, you must go through the ALA selection process with us. You may not be sponsored by any other entity.
- You are encouraged to read as much as possible about Girls State online, to familiarize yourself with the program and what to expect if you are selected.
- Between now and October 12, 2018, you may inform your guidance counselor of your interest in applying to attend. If you attend a home school, charter school, or select / private school not located in Frisco, please contact us to inquire. There is a separate process for eligible students.
- We will invite each school to recommend outstanding junior girls to apply online. All applications, including references, will be due by Wednesday, November 21, 2018.
- At present, ALA Unit 178 sponsors students who attend Frisco ISD schools, Little Elm ISD schools, private schools located in Frisco, or a student who does not attend one of the above but whose home address is in Frisco. If you do not fall into one or more of these categories, please contact us and we will direct you to the correct ALA Unit.
- The ALA Girls State Committee will review applications, and before winter break, we will invite finalists to interview in early January 2019. Not all applicants will be invited to interview.
- If you are invited to interview, you must attend one of the pre-scheduled interview dates; we will not make exceptions unless there are extremely extenuating circumstances. These dates will be available before the November 21 application deadline.
- All interviewees will be notified of their selection status by March 1, 2019.
- Girls State orientation will take place in May 2019 and will be mandatory.
- 2019 Girls State will take place in Seguin in June 2019, dates TBA.